September 02, 2008

If it sticks to the pan, it probably sticks to you


Common sense strikes again. This week I tested out my new Veganomicon cookbook (LOVE) and went for gold with the Mac and Cheese recipe! It made good use of "nooch" which apparently is what the vegan world calls nutritional yeast. I'm still learning these things. Nooch, like hootch. Got it.

Anyway the mac and cheese was great, appealing to the hubby as well. Score. In cleaning up (yes, he's great) he was shocked that it was so easy to clean, nothing like what you'd expect of a mac and cheese casserole dish! It reminded me that ever since we gave up on meat and dairy the garbage generally doesn't smell as much, the bowels generally move with greater ease, and yes, the dishes are generally easier to clean.

It makes me apply a very scientific approach to what I eat: What would this food do if I left it on the counter for a couple of weeks? Would it grow mold and stink up the house? Liquify? Grow limbs? I mean, even lettuce is gross when it goes bad but it mostly just turns to liquid that doesn't smell unless you put your face in it. Compared to other things, it's downright heavenly. And I imagine this is what my colon feels like, having to hang out with decomposed whatnot all day. It's the lettuce and clean food that is least offensive, least likely to cause a problem. What would you prefer go through your system?

This post suddenly got kind of gross, but to back up, the mac and cheese was delish and the new cookbook gets 5 stars from me.

10 comments:

Jenn said...

Good point and totally true!

Also, awesome that your husband does the dishes. I'm jealous. ;)

amandalouden said...

try your nooch on popcorn. super yum.

Anonymous said...

Regarding popcorn, but I love my popcorn with Badia's cajun seasoning, but I was pretty much wracking my brain for a way to stick it to the popcorn. I used to use spray butter (I don't really eat dairy but figured that stuff is mostly salt, water, and oil anyway), but eventually stopped using that stuff. I tried Pam once, but it was gross. Finally, I happened to have my spray bottle out that I mist my plants with ... I put two and two together ... and voila! If you are having trouble sticking your nooch (or whatever) to popcorn, just mist it with some water! Works wonders and keeps it a healthy treat, unlike tons of melted margarine or something.

Anonymous said...

nooch on popcorn. YUM. i make gravy with it. :) actually, i've been wanting to try the dressing on the raw kale salad at WF that uses it...


as for getting things to, er, not stick... i spent 2 weeks in nicaragua where i ate more than i've ever eaten in my entire life. and yet i lost weight, and all sorts of movements were easier. something to be said for lots of healthy fats and *real* food!

a said...

I just purchased Veganomicon myself, and have yet to crack it open! I've been dreaming about working out of this book, but have been sooooo busy! This mac and cheese may just happen tonight, it sounds so good.

Anonymous said...

My began cousin made this recipe and the whole family gave it the thumb's down - hmmm.Maybe it was pilot error.

I've made the one from Real Food Daily to great acclaim. It makes a ton and uses a quite a bit of agar which can be $ depending on where you purchase it. I served it to unsuspecting real-deal mac 'n cheese lovers who said it rocked.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's because I'm not familiar with vegan terminology or if I'm a Pom living in Australia, but 'nooch' is a word I have never come across and it sounds a little scary...does it exist outside of the US? It sounds like I will have to investigate the food shelves down under...

Michelle said...

@br – good tip, thanks!

@pinkrobot – let us know how it goes!

@lifeinrecipes – i wouldn't say it's good enough to pass as 'real' mac and cheese, but in and of itself, a good meal! i think expectations play a large role in enjoying something like this. would love to try the recipe you mentioned!

@victoria – i have no idea if it is available in Australia but Nutritional Yeast (nooch!) was a lot easier to find here than i thought it would be. let us know!

Marisa L. S. said...

I love Veganomicon! Haven't tried the mac and cheese yet though.

Bix said...

"nooch"
You learn something every day :)