May 13, 2008

Unofficial Uncooked Breakfast Contest


After some trial and error I've come up with my favorite raw breakfast. Despite the fact that is does not include any pork products or come with piping hot coffee, I'll probably stick with it even (if and when) I give up on this raw food thing.

Reason #1
It tastes good, and it tastes like breakfast bc of the oats. Buckwheat and quinoa work, but they don't taste breakfasty. Y'know?

Reason #2
It's easy. No food processor.

Reason #3
It's cheap.

So here's it is, if this even counts as recipe:
Raw Oats and Fruit
1/2 cup whole oat groats, soaked 12-24 hours
Soak a few days' worth of oats at a time and keep in the fridge
1 chopped banana
1 chopped pear (or other fruit)
handful of strawberries (or other berries)
1 Tbl. organic cinammon
1 Tbl. raw local honey (or raisins, especially if the berries aren't that sweet)
1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds (or other raw nuts/seeds)
1 Tbl. ground flax seed

Mix it up, preferably allowing time to sit for an hour or so before eating. Remember to chew, chew, chew those grains and pumpkin seeds or they'll fire straight through your system intact.

9 comments:

Ellen Claire said...

This looks good! I'll have to try it. :)

Vered said...

Sounds good. By the way, I often have fruit for breakfast, but I never give up on coffee... too addicted. :(

VEGAN TICKLES said...

This sounds delicious.
I hope to try it soon.

Thistlemoon said...

That sounds good, but I think I would prefer the buckwheat, as I am not an oatmeal girl, try as I might to become one!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll! :)

a said...

I have a similar kind of breakfast:

1/2 c oats (soaked overnight)
1 banana - mashed up with 1 T honey
Mix together with oats & add grated apple with a little lemon juice. Top with chopped walnuts.

Yum!

Also, I like that you're saying "if and when" you decide to stop eating raw. At first, I had a plan for 30 days, but at the rate I'm going, I feel like it's something I probably won't give up in the near future.

Anonymous said...

two dumb questions: what are groats? and what are you soaking them in? :)

Michelle said...

@paradigm--Right. Good question. Groats are whole oats. Not rolled, not steel cut, just whole berries. Soaked in water :-)

Jen said...

Michelle,

Thanks for reading my blog- slow food waltz!! I enjoy your blog! I'm trying to wean myself off meat. I want to eat more healthily and am going to try this recipe and let you know how it goes.

I just tried out a recipe mixing tofu with soymilk, banannas, raw sugar to make a shake. WHo would have though tofu would make such a tasty shake!

Laura McLaws Helms said...

That sounds delicious! I wanna try this next week- I'm trying to eat healthier and eating more raw...