March 24, 2008

Kicking milk's butt


Eager to eliminate dairy from my diet, I've had to dig a little deeper into the calcium issue. With no milk, will my bones collapse? What are other sources of calcium? Is it healthy to not eat any dairy products? Answers: no, kale (for example), yes.

Recently I heard that almonds are a great source of calcium, so I clickety-clacked over to NutritionData.com to find out. This is an awesome site for all nutritional data inquiries. Turns out, almonds kick whole milk's butt in % daily values of calcium.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the calcium thing is a conspiracy. Your bones need exercise more than they need 1000 mg Ca a day. And almond milk is quite yummy!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of milk, except in my coffee, but almonds also don't do it for me.

But, on the other hand, I love kale.........:)

Anonymous said...

I make my own almond milk all of the time - my easy recipe can be found here: http://lifeinrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/02/creamy-nut-milk.html

Helen said...

I have also recently kicked milk and diary and I feel so so much better, none of that horrid slime at the back of my throat.

It comes back mightly quickly when I have any diary at all however.

Invest in a soy milk machine for lovely soy, rice, oat and nut milks and never go back to buying diary or prepacked soy milk again.