January 14, 2008

Eating like a normal person


I do not ferment my own foods, hand-knead my own seitan, or grow my own vegetable garden. Nor will I ever do these things, at least not on a consistent basis! I live in the real world, work a 9-5 job, and sometimes need to eat on the run, so I've been searching for quick meals that live up to these standards:
1. no refined sugar
2. minimally processed, whole foods
3. no dairy
4. available at a store near my job, something i can grab and go

Not surprisingly, there aren't many winners to this contest. I've got:
1. apple with natural peanut butter
2. baby carrots with hummus
Um...that's pretty much it.

Until the other day! I found this at Trader Joe's – Spanish Lentils with vegetables in a Sofrito tomato sauce. The ingredient list is: Lentils, water, tomato, onion, red pepper, green pepper, sunflower oil, carrot, salt, paprika. Admittedly it looks like puke and still elicits a lot of "ewww what are you eating TODAY?" but it tasted pretty good so I can't complain.

No comments: