April 22, 2008

And This Little Piggy Got Realistic


I seriously wore heels every day in college, maybe even high school. I remember joking that my 3" black heeled boots were my 'rain boots' because they kept me up and out of puddles. There's nothing worse than a great outfit with bad shoes. The image that comes to mind is a formal dress with mary jane flats ...ewwwwwwwww....

Anyway, here I am, trying my damndest to find shoes that (shudder shudder I sound like my mom) "have proper support" and still look cute. It's an impossible task.

But I have found Earth shoes. With their negative heel technology and super supportive soles I don't even have to wear my orthotics. (Yes, I'm a ninety year old woman.) It's amazing how your feet can get messed up from years of bad footwear. And maybe a few years of dancing on pointe shoes. Now I look around and check out everyone's bunions, hammertoes and the like. It ain't pretty. Bad feet lead to knee problems and hip problems as the issue moves up your leg. It's the kind of pain that will turn a stiletto lover into the owner of some very attractive clogs.

Well, at least Earth has some decent options. They even have a line of vegan footwear.

8 comments:

Heidi Robb said...

Gawd! I had a dark blue suede pair back in the day! Looks like I might be needing to revisit them soon!

Anonymous said...

another site to check - they carry some of these at the tannery on boylston:

http://www.ecco.com/int/en/collection/women/2/business/20/index.jsp

Vered said...

Thanks! I am always on the lookout for great-looking, yet feet-and-back-friendly shoes. Will check these out.

Marisa L. S. said...

Oooh, I love their shoes. A bit pricy though. Why is it that anything that is good for us is so expensive?

Michelle said...

Actually I found sale and clearance Earth shoes on this website http://www.planetshoes.com/brands.asp?bc=Earth

Free shipping/returns too!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I quit wearing heels when I started running. For me, they were/are just mutually exclusive. I intend to buy a pair of Earth shoes this summer! The ones you've featured are really cute.

crazy4shabbychic said...

I too, wore 3-4" heels throughout high school & college. I danced from the age of 3-18, on pointe at 12.

Sprained my ankle last year and had to buy "sensible" shoes for the first time in my life - 40 has not been fun shoe-wise! I treat myself to heels on "special occasion" and the rest of the time, I wear various "good for you" shoes...

I buy earth shoes via HSN.com..

Amy Flanagan said...

Thanks! I'll check into this. Maybe I won't wear my Dansk clogs all summer again. (Yes I wore them with shorts. Never underestimate the power of bad knees.)