February 24, 2009

The Genius of Hummus


Have you noticed that most people don't like beans? Bring up the idea of eating beans and they'll wrinkle their noses right up. But have you also noticed that people love hummus? As a dip or a spread or a pita filling, people love it so much that companies have come out with tons of hummus variations with red peppers or garlic, etc.

So...hummus is made from beans...people love hummus... Ha!

It's just genius. Because beans are really, really, really good for you. I mean, you know that. But how often do Americans break out a can of beans with excitement? What I love about 'em is how versatile they are. Beans can go in everything, but to get people on board with the idea, start with hummus.

Making it at home is super easy. Recipes vary but always include chickpeas, olive oil, tahini and garlic. But I like to mix it up. You can use different beans and seasonings but the main idea is the same. Tell everyone, "It's just like hummus!"

Taco Style "It's Just Like Hummus"
1 can organic pinto beans
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
handful of cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp. ground flax seed (optional)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 Tbl. olive oil

Soak the beans in water if you have time (like, a few hours). This will help them digest more easily. Discard soaking water. In a small pan, heat 1 Tbl. olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook for a few more minutes. Put all ingredients except olive oil in a food processor. Blend, adding oil a little at a time. Serve as you would hummus.

I brought this to a party but made extra for myself and ate it throughout the week as a snack and as part of a full meal.

What are some other ways to make beans taste great?

13 comments:

The Fat Dietitian said...

It is so true, I LOVE hummus! I will be trying this bean dip... :)

Culinary Wannabe said...

I saw a new restaurant the other day (in nyc so you might have to check it out when you are up here), that is going to open up soon and their main focus is hummus. A whole restaurant around this one food - it must be special!

Vered said...

I like beans! I love them in burritos and I also like beans and rice. Mmmm. My kids' former nanny used to make amazing beans and rice.

Not Another Omnivore said...

I linked this to my blog since hummus deserves a spotlight.

And I know what you mean...like people who don't like tomatoes but can't get enough ketchup and spaghetti sauce...always amusing.

The boyfriend loves chocolate cake, but tried to tell me red velvet was gross. Go figure.

NAOmni

Michelle said...

Adding garlic to anything makes it fabulous and hummus is no exception to that rule.

Lori said...

I loved beans before moving to Brazil, and of course, now that I'm hear I can have them all the time. They are good here, but they lack the one ingredient I enjoy in my beans - something spicy.

I always add hot sauce (there is a lady at the farmer's market that makes an amazing one) and I found a pimenta tahini to make my hummus much more tasty. :)

Erica said...

I loveeeeee beans! And hummus! So yummy! I think black beans taste good in quesadillas! They really make the dish!

Yes, we def need to chat about tummy issues. I will email you soon!

Anonymous said...

I love all types of beans but my husband just isn't as sold on them. Such a shame - nutritious *and* cheap.

But as you say, like everyone else he loves hummus. I've tried making a few other bean dips which I love but he doesn't. I wonder if your Mexican themed dip might work a bit better as he's a complete chilli fiend!

Anonymous said...

Garbanzos were the first bean I started eating when I started incorporating beans into my diet. I knew I loved hummus, so I figured I could start there! I love smashing chickpeas and making a little salad out of it.

Michelle said...

I'm so glad so many of you are bean lovers. Let's spread the bean love! Haha that doesn't sound so good but you know what i mean. Let me know of any cool variations you come up with. I'm already thinking about an edamame asian hummus!

culinarywannabe--i know of a hummus place called Nanoosh I think. it's always packed but i plan to get in there soon!

lori--have you seen Heidi's spicy hummus on 101cookbooks? you'd love it.

erica--i look forward to it!

sophie--pile on the chili spices and see what he thinks! also, to improve digestibility it is advised to cook spices first. it makes the house smell awesome too. Just throw 'em in a pan over some heat, then in the food processor.

Sophie--Garbanzos: the gateway bean. I love it!

Deborah said...

I don't have any problems with beans, and I love hummus!!

Lori said...

Yes! I tried it just a few days ago. Amazing! :) Saw your entry in the PB contest. It's a great one!!

aditi said...

what are you talking about? I love hummus and all, but I LOVE beans. Mexican food. Indian food. I'm indian btw... and we do beans really well AKA RAJMA