November 30, 2007

Locavore in the city


My distaste for all Sex in the City references put aside for the moment...the more reading I do, the more I'm interested in eating locally grown foods. It seems like the right thing to do, rather than having my dinner chemically treated and packaged to stay fresh, then traveling the world in fossil-fueled vehicles before arriving in my mouth. The Omnivore's Dilemma has been really interesting stuff and you should totally read at least Chapter 1 before eating another morsel.

The question becomes, how can I eat locally when I can't remember the last time I saw a piece of fruit attached to a tree? There are no cattle grazing on the Boston Commons, that's for sure. Whole Foods is a great place but if I really want to know where my food comes from I can't rely on a mega-market with complicated supply chains.

Here are 3 options I have discovered for the Boston crowd:

Local Farmers Markets around the city
Boston Organics
Waltham Fields Community Farm
Lionette's Market in the South End

No comments: